Detail of the City of Boston
No towns or Cities are divided between districts, except Boston. In the difference maps that follow, dark green represents towns that are in both the old and new district. Light green is for towns gained by the district. Towns no longer in the district are in purple.
District 1 (blue)
Population losses in Western Mass force this district further into the Boston exurbs. 40% of the district’s population now lives in or East of Fitchburg, meaning that there’s a decent chance of the next rep being from the Nashoba Velley or MetroWest when Olver retires.
District 2 (green)
Shifts West slightly, ending the weird looking split of the lower Connecticut River valley.
District 3 (purple)
Little change here. Fall River is no longer split though.
District 4 (red)
The tentacle reaching out to Newton looks a little less ugly, as the district shifts a bit East to grab suburbs formerly represented by Lynch.
Distirct 5 (gold)
While retaining its Merrimac Valley core, the 5th has to shift to South to accommodate the changes in Boston.
District 6 (teal)
Little change here, though we do need to add the moderate sized cities of Woburn and Revere to make up for population losses in Essex County.
District 7 (gray)
The 7th becomes significantly more urban with 40% of its population now being areas formerly in the 8th district. This could potentially expose Markey to a primary fight if Capuano’s replacement is from this area, but his seniority in the house, his Liberal record, the greater familiarity the other 60% of the voters have with him and his large wad of cash should ensure he prevails.
District 8 (periwinkle)
Lynch now gets to represent most of Boston rather than just Southie, Beacon Hill and the more suburblike Southern neighborhoods. This might pose a bit of a challenge for him as half his constituents will be new. He could be vulnerable to primary challenge, especially if Capuano’s replacement is from this area, but Lynch is a skilled politician and the hyper ideologically liberal parts of the old 8th district (cough Cambridge cough) are now mostly in the 7th. The district retains its majority-minority status with 48% of its population being non-hispanic whites.
District 9 (cyan)
(Ignore that green triangle extending to the islands, I don’t know how that got there)
The old 10th redesignated the 9th, changes little, adding a couple towns formerly represented by Lynch and trading a little territory with the 4th for population equality purposes.