Ernie Boch, Jr., who controls a business empire estimated at a billion dollars and who shelled out a cool $15 million not too long ago to buy a plane, has put a sad little bounty on the identity of BMGer Ernie Boch, III: Ernie Boch Jr. offers $2,000 for ID of Howie Carr hater A prominent auto dealer wants to unmask a snarky blogger who has appropriated his name, offering a $2,000 reward to anyone who outs “Ernie Boch III.” Two grand — that’s it? What a cheapskate. Come on, Ern — you can do better than that. You spent nearly that much for a fancy ass-washing toilet. Surely EB3′s identity is worth orders of magnitude more to you than a clean colon! ;-)
I have not yet made up my mind regarding the Democratic primary for the US Senate race. As I mentioned here, I’ve heard directly from Mike Capuano and was impressed. But I’d like to give the others a chance. I don’t know if I’ll get an opportunity for an up-close and personal event with the other three candidates (if you have event details, please drop them into the comments), so the next best thing is to ask the supporters to make their cases. So, if you have decided to back Coakley, Khazei, or Pagliuca, here’s a chance to make the case for your candidate to us undecided voters. Or if you are a Capuano supporter, I’d still like more information. Tell me why you are backing your candidate. In particular, I’m looking for reasons to vote for a candidate, not why to vote against someone. What unique qualities does your candidate bring to the table? Why do you think she or he will be an effective Senator? I have a mental picture of Capuano in the role and I need that for the others. To those who do respond thoughtfully, my sincere thanks in advance.
AP's headline was a bit of a cheap shot, but Friday was still a bad news day for the Governor announcing the likelhood of even more cuts.
BOSTON—Gov. Deval Patrick summoned reporters to his office Friday to deliver sobering news: Tax collections were far below projections during September and short by nearly as much for the first quarter of the state's fiscal year……
Patrick denied any effort to minimize the impact of bad news. In the case of the tax shortfall, he explained that his Cabinet routinely meets on Fridays, and this week's was the first such meeting since the fiscal quarter ended. “We wanted to have a chance to talk about those numbers with the Cabinet before we made the announcement, and so we're telling you — as I told you I would — just as soon as I had them,” the governor explained
Jim O'Sullivan from the State House News had the facts on the short fall..
Regular sales tax revenues climbed $32 million, the Department of Revenue said, but fell $28 million short of projections. Retail industry business collections climbed $24 million, 24 percent, driven by an increase of up to $9 million from alcohol, which had previously been exempt from that tax.
Business-to-business sales were flat, despite the tax increase. While the federal “Cash-for-Clunkers” program drove motor vehicle sales taxes in July and August, that trend fell off with the program’s end, bringing collections in $5 million below estimates for September.
Corporate and business taxes plummeted 29.6 percent, to $144 million below benchmark, which Department of Revenue officials attributed “at least in part to the impact of the declining economy on corporate profits, use of transferable tax credits, and faster processing of refunds this September.”
Officials defended the sales tax hike, saying the revenue picture would be worse without the increase. Sales tax collections climbed 13.8 percent from a year ago, but still fell $37 million below the monthly benchmark. The increase took effect Aug. 1, with post-tax hike collections reflected in the September numbers.
“Clearly, the rate increase in sales tax has mitigated the effects on the sales tax revenues from the underlying economy and the fact that people are not spending as much,” said outgoing Patrick budget chief Leslie Kirwan. “So it would be a worse situation without the tax that was ultimately included in the budget.”
the House's bad news bear W&M Chair Charlie Muphy was quoted..
Murphy said September’s tax collections will likely prompt a more assertive effort from the Patrick administration to obtain expanded budget-cutting authority from the Legislature. Patrick has already requested the power to cut spending beyond executive branch agencies, but has been ignored so far by lawmakers uneasy with ceding that power.
“He’s asked, but from what I can tell it’s been asked but it really hasn’t been pushed a great deal. And I suspect that push will be made much more aggressively,” Murphy told the News Service.
For those of you who think that FUD is a plan, here’s Bobby Jindal on the subject: Republican leaders chose not to draft their own comprehensive bill, focusing instead on attacking Democrats’ plans as too costly and bureaucratic. Some prominent Republicans now fear they are getting tagged as the “party of no,” and they want the GOP to offer more solutions to the nation’s health care problems. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, a potential GOP presidential contender in 2012, said it’s time for Republicans “to pivot and say, in addition to emphasizing what we oppose, here are our proposals” for health care.” However, my favorite quote is from Mitch McConnell: …Republicans are nearly unified in opposition. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell warned that the bill the Finance Committee plans to give final approval next week would have “a dampening effect on what is already clearly a very, very difficult economic situation.” He told reporters that Republicans have not offered their own bill because “we’re not in the majority. The majority has the responsibility to go forward.”
The Globe reports today that Rep. James Oberstar (D-MN) sent a letter to Governor Patrick complaining that MA is not spending stimulus money fast enough. According to the Globe, Oberstar
told Patrick that Massachusetts ranks 49th in the nation in putting highway stimulus money to work, committing only 23 percent of its funds so far…. Seven months after receiving $437 million in federal highway funds, Massachusetts had only about $99 million in construction work underway as of Aug. 31, according to the most recently available data. By contrast, New Hampshire had 78 percent and Maine 67 percent. The two states ranked third and fourth, respectively, in a congressional ranking of how quickly the 50 states and the District of Columbia have spent highway funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Governor Patrick sent a letter (email, no link) back objecting to Oberstar’s methodology, which he says
is based on a formula that solely measures the speed with which contracts are put out to bid, awarded, and gotten underway, without drawing any distinction between types of projects and the ultimate economic benefits expected to be derived therefrom. Under this analysis, speed is everything – a state which chooses to dedicate its ARRA funding to simple maintenance and repaving projects is viewed favorably, while a state, such as Massachusetts, that makes the choice to develop more ambitious projects leveraging lasting, long-term job growth rates lower on the committee’s analysis. Our decision to use ARRA transportation funds strategically to support more complicated, long-term economic development investments was influenced in part by the fact that we have significantly increased our own investments with state capital funds in bread and butter transportation infrastructure, including through our own stimulus plan – a $3 billion accelerated bridge program and this year’s record $721 million statewide road and bridge program that together has created jobs in every corner of the Commonwealth.
Patrick also noted that “your report does not reflect the fact that Massachusetts has consistently been ranked in the top ten among states – and recently as high as 5th – for expenditure of all types of ARRA funds including critical health care and education investments.”
Patrick’s full letter appears on the flip.
From the Boston Herald: A prominent auto dealer wants to unmask a snarky blogger who has appropriated his name, offering a $2,000 reward to anyone who outs “Ernie Boch III.”
O. K. People. Listen Up. There will be plenty of time to chat and laugh about the fact that Ernie Boch, Jr. went on Howie’s show yesterday and offered $2,000.00 for someone to out me.
This is playing out like a John Hughes movie with Howie as the evil high school principal.
But let’s not get side-tracked like they want us to. Stay focused. This is a campaign. Justice4all, I hope you are organizing all the cop wives on this.
BTW Ernie, Jr. makes the best case of all for the protection of anonymous bloggers’ identities. He told Howie
“I’m going to tell you who he is so you can terrorize him every afternoon.”
Great, with Ernie, Jr.’s hundreds of millions of dollars behind him and Howie’s powerful FCC license behind him they want to identify an individual so they can use these powers to make personal attacks and hope to destroy a career? A family? a life?
Car salesman Ernie Boch Jr., an apparent terrorist sympathizer and “media whore,” according to WAAF radio host Greg Hill, has offered $2,000 for the identity of esteemed BMG commenter Ernie Boch III. Boston Herald: A prominent auto dealer wants to unmask a snarky blogger who has appropriated his name, offering a $2,000 reward to anyone who outs “Ernie Boch III.” “I’m going to tell you who he is so you can terrorize him every afternoon,” Boch told pug dog expert and Wellesley radio host Howie Carr. The virtual Ernie encouraged a boycott of Carr’s advertisers after the white haired Wellesley analyst compared Judge Thomas Connolly to a “pervert priest.” Carr provided a magnificent review, and tacit endorsement, of the campaign here. Evidently, the effort has had an impact. But is that it? This from the proud owner of three $1,700 toilets, a $15 million jet, and a personal throne? The paltry sum supports speculation Ernie Boch III is actually Erie Boch, Jr. of the monogrammed shirt cuffs. (One would expect nothing less creative from the man who served as a guest judge for the cleavage contest at King Richard’s Faire on 8 September 2007, according to Wikipedia.) The latest album [...]
The Award to Etta Lappen Davis is good news. What she has done in fighting for the legal orphans, children thrown away by today’s society is truly angel’s work. Some of you may not know that just because parental rights have been terminated does NOT mean there is a home waiting for that child! 25% of all homeless adults were formerly foster childrenfor example.
Etta Lappen Davis helps save struggling families so they do not lose their children in the first place. She also helps struggling adopting families who had no idea how much work raising a child with the baggage of loss that comes with losing a family of origin would require.
In her nominating letter, Ms. Davis’ daughter wrote, “What makes my mother a true ‘angel’ goes much deeper than her impressive credentials and lifelong professional achievement. I have witnessed firsthand the multifaceted support she provides to two specific families – families that I believe have managed to stay intact due to her guidance, love and expertise.
“She spends countless hours counseling the parents, speaking with collaborative professionals, attending team meetings and being on call for moments of crisis.”
Each year there is less help for struggling families, whether biological or adoptive. Balancing our state’s budget by 9C cuts only cripples families and kills children’s futures.