Well, how long will it take before Scott Brown's approval ratings are in the crapper? Hmmm … let's count the ways he'll get dinged up over time … This is really too easy.
- Announcing Ayla's “available”. Yech. TMI. (ding!)
- Some-dude-who-used-to-live-here Mitt Romney talks about the “political arrogance” of Democrats. He should know. Is he rehabilitated here yet? (ding)
- Gets to Washington, is the toast of guys like Mitch McConnell and Jim DeMint. (ding, dingety ding ding!)
- Ran ads attacking MC for taking money from PhRMA and insurers; Gets to DC and asks them, “You want fries with that?” (ding, ding, ding)
- Votes against clean energy jobs for MA. (ding)
- Relatedly, shows ignorance of impending climate catastrophe. (ding)
- Totally-Anti-Establishment Guy opposes Obama's banking regulation, including Obama's “user tax” on banks for the bailout. Super Size Me!
And on and on. He's a talented politician — let's say it … but one that benefitted from a short election season and a lack of real scrutiny. By 2012 we'll still be as befuddled as we are now that he ever ended up in the US Senate.
And had to share this quote: On FB, David Guarino says “Dems who know Scott Brown keep asking, head-shaking, 'Scott Effing Brown?' He's now the Bucky Dent of MA politics.“
Update: Kos puts it very succinctly:
Either Scott Brown alienates ideologically rigid Teabaggers by casting votes with Democrats in order to shore up his standing at home; or
He votes in lockstep with the rest of his party and becomes the nation's most unpopular senator.
One or the other is inevitable. Maybe both.