The following announcement went out to YDM members earlier today, outlining the candidates we've endorsed and why. I hope you'll consider getting involved as we work to support these fantastic Democrats through November.
(Disclosure: I am the volunteer Communications Director for YDM)
The Board of the Young Democrats of Massachusetts was pleased to endorse a great slate of candidates recommended through members our local chapters and Political Committee and evaluated based on comprehensive questionnaires. I hope you'll check them out on our new and improved ydma.org.
By the time members vetted all of the candidates and made recommendations to the Board, the decisions were pretty easy. These candidates represent the Democratic values we stand for, and the type of Democrats we're excited to stand with.
Some candidates are experienced progressive leaders who have stood with us on Beacon Hill, and some are newer to elected office. Some are focused on the general election, while some have challenging primary races. In fact, in one very rare move, YDM backed the non-incumbent challenger in a Democratic Primary – and we are looking forward to helping elect Mac D'Alessandro, a real Democrat, to represent the 9th Congressional District in Congress.
The common thread among all of these candidates is their commitment to empowering youth, including our voice in the political process, and advancing the issues and values outlined in our platform. As the Board of the Young Democrats of Massachusetts, it is our job to ensure your interests are on the agenda this election cycle and that we elect leaders who take them seriously. But to be successful, we need you involved.
Please take a second to make sure you're able to stay informed and engaged this election year:
- Join our Facebook Group to get invites to our campaign phonebanks and canvasses, as well as social and informational events
- Join YDM's Political Committee to share your input as we evaluate candidates on our second round of endorsements
- Find out how you can take a volunteer leadership role in the organization by emailing emailing YDM Membership & Outreach Chair John Kleschinsky
- Help us ensure we have the resources we need to be successful by contributing to the YDM PAC
- Be informed by learning about our Endorsed Candidates:
- Gov. Deval L. Patrick & Lt. Gov. Timothy P. Murray
- Mac D'Alessandro, Candidate for 9th Congressional District of Massachusetts
- Steve Grossman, Candidate for Massachusetts Treasurer
- Sen. Cynthia Stone Cream, Candidate for re-election for State Senate, 1st Middlesex and Norfolk
- Sen. Jamie Eldridge, Candidate for re-election for State Senate, Middlesex & Worcester
- Sen. Karen Spilka, Candidate for re-election for State Senate, 2nd Middlesex & Norfolk
- Rep. Jen Benson, Candidate for re-election for State Representative, 37th Middlesex
- Rep. Bill Bowles, Candidate for re-election for State Representative, 2nd Bristol
- Rep. Tom Sannicandro, Candidate for re-election for State Representative, 7th Middlesex
- Get Local – Find Your Chapter!
We'll never match the big money Teapartiers are going to put into this race. But, we don't need to with volunteers like you. But, it does help do be able to afford clipboard, transportation, lit, & some pizza for our phonebanks. Since we launched our ActBlue page one week ago, more than half a dozen people have already helped raise more than $200, and with your gift – whether it's $5, $50, or $500 – we'll keep building for success in November!
Together, we're going to help elect some great candidates this year, but the work starts now – I hope we'll see you on the campaign trail!