[Post's title has been edited for clarity. -ed.]
If you can judge people by the company they keep, Scott Brown’s in trouble. Huffington Post reports that a local construction worker who appeared in Brown recent campaign ad about — what else — the Travelers/asbestos case, has a Facebook page full of offensive stuff.
Some of the highlights from the past month or two (almost all of this up before Brown’s ad was filmed):
- Paging Lynne: He called Elizabeth Warren a “douchebag” and invited her to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
- He called Obama a “faggot” and said “we have a Muslim in the White House”
- He called his alma mater, Brandeis, “Jew U.” Full quote: “I attended Brandeis. Jew U. Great school. the people, not so much. One thing I learned is that Jews have a persecution complex and they hate themselves. That is why I believe they vote for liberals.”
- Racially insensitive “dialect” and references to “slaves in the Democratic plantation” in discussion of the black voters who support Obama because he gives them all free cell phones
- Would support Allen West for president
- Called the Obama administration “pure evil”
- Another “douchebag” reference for Janeane Garafolo: “The day I wake up, turn on the news to find that that (creatively spelled c-word) was involved in a bizzare meat grinder accident that chopped up her already rotten carcass will be a great day for me. ” Apparently in this guy’s world “douchebag” should be applied primarily, if not exclusively, to women.
- Naturally he blames Warren for the nasty tone of the Senate race.
I wish I could say I’m surprised by this, but I’m not.
Of course, Brown isn’t just an ass by association. He’s done plenty to make clear he’s a jerk in his own right. Today he’s even walking back his lame apology for falsely claiming the relatives of asbestos victims in Warren’s ads were paid actors. You see, it’s all Warren’s fault for “representing those large corporations against those victims.” Thus, this whole flap is “unfair” to Scott. If Warren hadn’t worked on a case that’s complex enough for Scott to lie about, she wouldn’t have defended her record, and he wouldn’t have been forced to lie about her defense of her record. Got that?
Step 1: Cynically distort facts.
Step 2: Lie about the people who call you out for cynical distortion of facts.
Step 3: Blame opponent when caught in lie about the people who called you out for cynical distortion of facts.
Step 4: Repeat your original cynical distortions.
Step 5: Repeat Step 4 until the election’s over.