Just thought I would let people know a few points that might be of interest from today’s meeting:
- The next state convention will be June 1-2 at DCU in Worcester. Alternates will be seated separately this time. The party is cognizant of accessibility concerns previously raised and will work to alleviate those.
- Convention Rules and the Method for Selecting Delegates were adopted. One change to the former is that for charter amendments, the speaker designated to control time does not need to be a member of the Charter Amendments Committee. The local chairs will serve ex officio as always, but will NOT be counted in the allocation. It is important to note this does not add delegates, but rather adjusts the stated allocation. The caucus window is only five weeks this time – from the first weekend in February through the first weekend of March. Once again we will accept day-of voter registration and pre-registrations for teens. New this year are add-on delegate slots for LBGT persons.
- The party stands fully behind the three goals of Raise Up Massachusetts – the Fair Share Amendment, $15 minimum wage, and paid family/medical leave. Many DSC members and hopefully many local committee members will be involved.
- There are special elections pending for Senate in the Bristol/Norfolk and Worcester/Middlesex districts and for the House in the 1st Berkshire and 3rd Essex districts.
- We adopted the Resolutions Committee report which addressed several resolutions which we did not have time to address at convention.
Others can chime in as always.