Yes, we should be happy about the Jones victory. A win is a win. Either good things happen or bad things. Unfortunately the bad things are going to continue, as the result of last year’s tainted elections. The enthusiasm of the #Resistance is amazing; we will have much rebuilding to do in 2021.
A few things:
- — The middle-class tax increase has now been unified and ready to present to the full Congress. Despite meeting none of her supposed demands, Susan Collins seems willing to vote for this monstrosity. If you have friends or family in Maine, have them call her offices: (202)224-2523 for DC; Augusta (207) 622-8414; Bangor (207) 945-0417; Biddeford (207) 283-1101; Caribou (207) 493-7873; Lewiston (207) 784-6969; Portland (207) 780-3575.
- — TrumpTaxToolkit.org has numbers and an auto-dialer to help kill the bill.
- — Charlie Baker doesn’t support the GOP tax bill. He’s spoken against it. Actions speak louder than words: Yes indeed, it does matter that a Baker-controlled party apparatus has raised $5 million for the national party — yes, which backed Roy Moore. Pace Steven Lynch: Baker doesn’t have to do this. The national GOP has us, our values, and our quality of life dead in their sights.Put it this way: Think about how many of us have donated money or time trying to affect out-of-state results — because they affect us! If our actions matter, how much more does Baker’s $5 million matter?
- — The internet as we know it probably dies today, as the unelected bureaucrats at the FCC take an ax to net neutrality. Who knows — your humble volunteer-run websites like BMG may well be harder to find, gated, throttled, pay-walled. It is an attack on freedom of speech itself.
- — We are on pace for an actual crisis of the rule of law if and when Trump fires Mueller, not merely because of Trump’s malevolence, but because of GOP cowardice. Trump can be confident that if he fires Mueller, the GOP congress will do nothing. It’s not the bad actor that’s the problem; it’s his enablers. This is on all of the Republican Party.I understand Democrats’ reticence to promise impeachment in their 2018 races; but if Trump fires Mueller that will be an urgent necessity — if it weren’t already.
- — Who benefits from the teardown of the State Department and cuts in anti-terrorism programs? These are attacks on American influence, power, safety and security. It’s not unreasonable to note that there’s a confluence between Steve Bannon’s “deconstruction of the administrative state” and Russia’s influence with the Trump administration; they’re both perfectly happy with diminished American stature. The Russians figured out that they didn’t even have to be that sneaky about it; they can just walk in the front door and trash the place.