- My approach to climate change is
100% renewables ASAP
zero emissions economy ASAP
carbon drawdown ASAP
geotherapy (not geoengineering) ASAP
At least as a thought experiment.
2. I start from Solar IS Civil Defense, which is necessary NOW
in case of weather or other natural disaster, whatever you believe about Climate Change or Sanity Clause.
10 bucks buys a solar light and charger today, just go Internet shopping. That’s a personal electric solar civil defense, the basics of light, communications, and extra batteries. 10 bucks is also the price of a hand-crank light and charger. Add a bicycle charger (or electric bike) and you have “free” electricity for as long as the batteries hold a charge and the chargers work.
3. Simple solar and energy efficiency can be taught, to those who want to know, fairly easily and can be quite effective
A South-Facing Window Is Already a Solar Collector
Solar windowbox air heater
Insulating Roller Shade
Six pack of solar
I used to do workshops on simple solar and broke one down into a series of short videos:
Part 1 at https://youtu.be/IdPftGMNbEA
the others are available at https://www.youtube.com/user/gmoke/videos
4. Simple solar can become an economic lever and non-violent economic practice, a technological adaptation of Gandhi’s concept of swadeshi, local production, what he called the heart of satyagraha. I imagine a solar swadeshi (http://solarray.blogspot.com/2005/05/solar-swadeshi-hand-made-electricity.html) that becomes a solar walkaway or an electrical grid boycott to add a little impetus to the growing tide of Extinction Rebellion (anybody else see a resemblance to the Trainites of John Brunner’s Sheep Look Up?) and the Sunrise Movement.
5. Since scientists tell us that we have about a decade to do something to reduce climate calamity, somebody should be scheduling out the next 10 years, 3,650 days, for climate action, month by month, week by week, day by day to do what is ecologically necessary to restore the atmosphere to preindustrial levels of CO2 (270 parts per million) ASAP.