The Green Line Extension is currently planning the new route and T stop locations. Locations under consideration are in or around Brickbottom, Union Square, central Somerville (Ball Square, Magoun Square), Tufts, and Mystic Valley Parkway / west Medford. They’re holding a series of community meetings starting this week to discuss the possible routes & station locations and find out what people want.
The web site has a flyer [PDF] listing the meetings and summarizing what they’re about:
- Mon, Jan 28, Somerville High – focusing on stations proposed for Washington Street, Gilman Square, and Inner Belt/Brickbottom neighborhoods.
- Tue, Jan 29, VNA – Magoun Square and Ball Square neighborhoods
- Thu, Jan 31, Tufts – College Ave & Winthrop Street neighborhoods, including Tufts campus
- Wed, Feb 6, South Medford Fire Station – Mystic Valley Parkway area
- Tue, Feb 19, Cummings School – Union Square area
As always, there also remains the chance that they won’t extend the Green Line at all. In addition to finding out what they’re planning and giving them your opinion about where stops should be, high turnout will make the extension more likely; low turnout would indicate lower interest and increase the chance that it won’t happen. If you care about expanding public transportation, please try to show up to one of these meetings!
Edit: STEP (Somerville Transportation Equity Partnership) has a Google map of proposed routes & possible stops being considered.