I am not naming names, but listing qualities [sorry to disappoint].
Here, is a list of the qualities that my favorite Representatives do have, and which I would personally prefer in a Speaker:
1. Proven integrity over the long haul, having served at least 4 terms without ethics complaints or arrests or other embarassments.
2. Mastery of the actual workings of the House, the Budget, the written Rules, and the unwritten rules that render a representative effective, or ineffective.
3. A proven ability to work hard, master complex subject areas, and organize the team efforts needed for major legislative and policy initiatives, which combine teams of fellow representatives and staffers, and sometimes academic experts or others with knowledge of the issue or issues involved.
4. Involvement in civic engagement. By “civic engagement” I mean behaviors including but not limited to: being accessible to the public both constituents and nonconstituents, operating in the open with good communications both by answering letters and e-mails and calls either personally or through competent staffers as well as the release of press releases and policy papers, and participating in forums, workshops, and public policy events.
5. A balanced personality, able to interact with critics as well as supporters in a mature and productive manner.
6. Demonstrated capacity for long range proactive planning.
7. A balanced personal life, without excessive debt, addictive behaviors, risky lifestyle choices, as well as mature interactions with the press, the executive, and the judicial branches.
Not asking too much, am I?
Of course, the current Speaker has not left and says he isn’t leaving, but just like I write out shopping lists before shopping, why not discuss what the qualities of The Perfect Speaker would be!