Last week, Young Democrats of Massachusetts announced their endorsement of and plans for supporting Dr. Peter Smulowitz's Special Election for State Senate. This week, I wanted to share the specifics of what we'll be doing, and invite the BMG community to join us.
The special election is less than two weeks away, and this race could be decided by just a few votes, so I hope you'll join us and make a difference!
Dear Young Democrats,
On Tuesday, May 11, 2010, we have the chance to elect Dr. Peter Smulowitz, an experienced, intelligent, and talented young Democrat to Scott Brown's former State Senate seat, representing Norfolk, Bristol, and Middlesex District. In a low turnout special election like this, voter identification and GOTV are essential to victory, and as you can see from YDM's Facebook Fan Page, there are some great opportunities for you to help.
The Board of Young Democrats of Massachusetts voted unanimously to endorse Dr. Smulowitz and support his campaign with at least 50 volunteer hours to help contact voters, as well as at least a $100 PAC contribution, and we've heard the race is close enough where volunteer hours from members like you and me can make the difference – here's how you can help:
- Monday 5/3: Come work the phones with us at the Massachusetts Democratic Party HQ from 5:30-8:30 PM (RSVP & get details on Facebook).
- Sunday 5/9: Take a roadtrip with us to talk with voters as we canvass in the district! We're meeting at the Massachusetts Democratic Party HQ at 11:00 AM (RSVP & get details on Facebook).
- Monday 5/10: Come work the phones with us at the Massachusetts Democratic Party HQ from 5:30-8:30 PM (RSVP & get details on Facebook).
- Tuesday 5/11: Election Day! We'll have opportunities to make calls from across Massachusetts, as well as to GOTV in the district (RSVP for the Election Day event so we can get you more details)
- Not near Boston? Chapters are organizing across Massachusetts, connect with your local chapter to hear about opportunities in your area.
YDM endorsed Dr. Smulowitz based on his commitment to supporting quality education, creating 21st century jobs, and making healthcare more affordable for students and working people in Massachusetts. We're excited to have the opportunity for Young Democrats to help elect a fellow Young Democrat who can make a big difference on Beacon Hill – I hope you'll be part of it!
See you on the campaign trail!
PS: I'm excited to report that in a little over 24 hours, Young Democrats have sent over 200 emails to Beacon Hill supporting equal rights for transgender people. Please help us get get this bill out of committee by bringing the email count up to 300!
Young Democrats of Massachusetts
Finally, thank you BMG-ers, for your interest in what YDM is doing to support progressive candidates and policies in Massachusetts. We really appreciate your support for our e-advocacy campaign around transgender rights, and enthusiasm about Dr. Smulowitz's election!