My favorite arguments against impeachment:
1. The Dems can’t defeat Trump in 2020 so they have to resort to impeachment. REALITY: All of the leading Democrats currently lead Trump by nearly TEN POINTS.
2. There is no direct evidence against Trump; it’s all hearsay. REALITY: There are multiple testimonies of direct evidence witnesses from Sondland to Vindman and many others. In addition, there are multiple corroborating and contemporaneous documents that also are direct evidence. Finally, this argument is absurd, since Trump confessed publicly (legally, an ‘admission’), and also released the call notes, which show an obvious act of extortion.
3. Trump was just concerned about corruption in Ukraine. REALITY: Trump showed no interest in corruption in Ukraine in 2017-18, but of all countries and people on earth, it’s a coincidence that he happened to focus on his domestic political opponent. ABSURD. Finally, Trump and Giuliani are aligned with the forces in Ukraine that are aligned with Russia and are corrupt. Anyone with any knowledge of the region knows this.
4. Trump did not have a chance to defend himself. REALITY: Trump refused to provide documents or witnesses to Congress, stating publicly Congress would literally get NOTHING. No other President has ever shown such disrespect for a co-equal branch of government.
5. No aid was withheld. REALITY: the aid was withheld for 77 days, during which time Ukrainians died. In any case, this is actually about an abuse of power affecting all Americans: his attempt to corrupt our right to a free and fair election in 2020.
6. Democrats have just wanted to impeach Trump because they hate him, many calling for impeachment from the moment he was elected. REALITY: This is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is Trump’s abuse of power and subsequent failure to support our Constitutional separation of powers by refusing to respect congressional subpoenas. (It is also not true. The Democratic Caucus rejected all earlier calls for impeachment.)
7. Trump committed no crime. REALITY: This is not the point. If a president refuses to follow the constitution, he must be impeached. Furthermore, he DID commit a crime. It is called extortion. And because this extortion involved a foreign country intervening in our election, it is exactly the kind of abuse of power the Founding Fathers feared and established the remedy of impeachment to address. Finally, Nixon also faced impeachment for the very same offenses: abuses of power and obstruction of Congress.
8. Zelensky said he felt no pressure from Trump. REALITY: Zelensky was utterly dependent on the US to get the javelin missiles. Of course he’s not going to say out loud that Trump is inappropriately pressuring him; extortion victims without power are not going trash their abuser. He has to protect his country.
9. Ukraine did not know about the blocking of the aid, so it doesn’t matter. REALITY: The evidence showed clearly that they knew the aid was being held up because the Ukrainians ASKED about it. (It should be noted that this is irrelevant to whether Trump violated his oath and attempted to extort Zelensky.)
10. There’s no harm no foul because the aid was released by Trump. REALITY: In addition to the delay which was a big deal for Ukraine, the evidence showed that Trump knew about the whistleblower two weeks prior to the release of the aid. In other words, he only released the eight because he got CAUGHT.