I’m only speaking for myself on this, but I have come to fully trust only Dr. William Haseltine and Laurie Garrett- both epidemiologists, in the matter of a scientifically-based public health response to COVID-19.
Dr. Fauci eerily reminds me of Robert Mueller (from a different discipline, obviously).
Why he continues to play along with this happy talk about, for example, trusting the FDA after its repeated distortions of science (hydroxychloriquine, convalescent plasma numbers, and now a vaccine to be released radically prematurely) that all just happen to coincide with the ravings and political pressure from the White House, is beyond me.
All I can say with strong conviction, is that the warnings and statements over the past six months of Dr. Haseltine and Laurie Garrett are already again holding up far better than the muddling through and careful navigation around Trump’s madnesses by Dr. Fauci.
I believe that three years from now, Haseltine’s and Garrett’s warnings will prove to be what they were:
scientifically-based warnings from EPIDEMIOLOGISTS, who have marinated in the history of pandemics for years in a way that Fauci’s careful and, admittedly, incredibly skillful, prevarications, will not stand up.
Today, Fauci said on CNN that schools within the “green zones” can open “with impunity”. With impunity?
That is easy for him to say. I wonder if he would say the same thing if he were a high school science teacher.
Another example, why Fauci is still playing along with the continuing – and disastrous – American federal policy of Whack-a-Mole, which has cost 190,000 lives, and which the concept of “green zones” exemplifies, is utterly vexing.
When asked today who should get tested, completely ignored these critical facts:
1. community spread occurs with at least 40% of persons having no symptoms whatsoever; and
2. epidemiologists, in part having LEARNED from the examples of Germany and South Korea, recommend universal testing to the extent possible, with tracing and quarantining of infected individuals. Fauci said only that “those who are known to have been exposed” should be tested, REMAINING SILENT ABOUT ASYMPTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AS THE OBVIOUS ACHILLES HEEL OF SUCH A STRATEGY.
I’m having PTSD-whiplash with Fauci, because it reminds me eerily of the near-universal adoration of Mueller that was occurring among liberals, even as he
1. refused to investigate Trump as an intelligence threat;
2. inexplicably refused to subpoena Trump (when Bill Clinton was subpoenaed for a far less serious matter); and
3. inexplicably treated an internal policy letter drafted by Nixon appointees in the midst of Watergate that a president could not be indicted while sitting as president as having the force of constitutional law – a force which it did not have – according to the top academic authority on constitutional law on the United States, Harvard Law Professor Laurence Tribe.
(Mueller did NOT have to view the internal DOJ letter this way, and should not have, knowing the constitutional crisis that might occur later, which is now in fact occurring in slow motion in the lead up to this election.)
Dr. Haseltine points out that there is a REASON vaccines take time to develop. He stated that it takes at least six months to have any chance of having adequate data to understand with any scientific certainly whether a vaccine is safe. Dr. Haseltine therefore said last night he would not take a vaccine released prematurely, since this literally impossible to do prior to October or November.
Dr. Fauci says he would. Why?
He owes us a full explanation if he thinks Dr. Haseltine is wrong.
Dr. Fauci, we are relying on your deep expertise and independence: please stick to the science. We need you.