The editorial offers a few suggestions:
– Put legislative redistricting in the hands of an independent commission.
– Put decisions about legislators’ perks – office assignments, parking spaces, etc. – in the hands of an independent committee elected by House and Senate members.
– Assign members to committees based on their interest and expertise – and let committee members elect their chairs.
– Extend the Open Meeting Law to the state Legislature. Require that the most important deliberations – including conference committees – be held in plain sight.
– Switch to a part-time legislature, which tends to strengthen the executive branch while attracting members with less interest in manipulating executive decisions for their own benefit.