Food for thought — the impacts of the purchases we all make. To some extent, the fees associated with the domain “bmg.ma”, used on this fine website, go to the government of Morocco, who has control over this Internet suffix.
- A whopping 43rd in gender equality according to the OECD.
- 135 for press freedom, according to Reporters without Borders. They show a consistent slide downward.
- “Partly Free” according to Freedom House. Its country report seems to make that designation seem generous.
- 80th in the world in transparency, according to Tranparency International.
- Controls the largest remaining swath of occupied land in Africa, and intent on keeping it.
Granted, Morocco isn’t the nastiest regime in Africa, but still far from a beacon of democracy. Is it oversensitive to question its patronage on this blog, or is there merit to this concern?