Something I wrote a few years ago, an old favorite I would like to share.
In order to oppose Universal Health Care (UHC) and support Market Based Health Care (MBHC), you have to believe the following statements to be true:
1. With my private insurer, I can select any doctor I want and there is no one between my doctor and me when it comes to decisions. My doctor does not have to consult with the insurance company my employer has selected, or my employer’s religion to see what medications or procedures are allowed. I can get whatever my doctor and I want, whenever I want it and where ever I want it. It is only with UHC that someone is in between me and my doctor. It is only with UHC that I am limited to my selection of doctors.
2. The poor citizens of Appalachia who stood in the rain for hours to receive limited health care from compassionate doctors and nurses who examined them in animal stalls because there were no suitable medical locations nearby, were receiving “The Best Health Care in The World”.
3. The family that goes into bankruptcy because one of their members is gravely ill and their insurer denies payment because of a technically in the fine print, is also getting the “Best Health Care in the World
4. Hospitals spend millions of dollars a year advertising their services to us because they want us to know where to go when we get sick. These millions of dollars are not added to the cost of our hospital visit. We ought to do the same with our police and fire departments.
5. Drug companies also spend billions of dollars a year in marketing (more than they do in research) because they want us to remember what medication we should take when we are ill and these billions of dollars are not figured into the cost of the medication.
6. The citizens of Germany, France, Canada, Belgium, The UK, Norway, Portugal, Iceland, Spain, Italy, Austria, and others with UHC have awful medical care but they are not allowed to protest it and their systems of democracy forbid these people from electing representatives in government to overturn UHC and switch to MBHC.
7. The medical and insurance corporations in the USA are spending a million dollars a day to lobby against UHC because they really care about our health and they know their system is better for us. It has nothing to do with protecting their massive corporate profits.
8. Medical and insurance corporations care about their customers first and their investors second. Every medical and insurance corporation in America puts a patient’s health ahead of the interests of the shareholders. All of them. They are saints. Money means nothing to them.
9. We need to end Medicare and Medicaid and VA hospitals immediately and switch to private, corporate profit based healthcare.
10. All of the studies from all of the research of all of the nations with UHC that prove that they spend less and live longer, are lies. All of them. It’s a conspiracy.