Good analysis in the Times of the Adam’s win.
My key takeaways:
- RCV continues to favor moderate candidates where it’s been tried and empowers consensus candidates at the expense of extremists in either party
- Defund the Police is an electoral loser, not just with white moderates, but with a majority of voters of color as well. Time to move onto a new framing for police reform. I like “constitutional policing” or “police accountability” since it emphasizes protecting all of our civil liberties from abuse and keeping public servants ethical and honest.
- UBI is an electoral loser. Wasn’t enough to keep Yang competitive.
- The Biden coalition is the new sweet spot of Democratic politics. White moderates+culturally moderate working class voters of color. Whichever candidate that appeals to this group can win a primary and a general in just about any blue or purple state in the country. McAuliffe just did this too in VA. Joe Kennedy nearly did this against Ed Markey.
- Locally this means Annissa Essaibi George is your real front runner for Boston mayor
Please share widely!